Thursday 19 April 2012

Charity

Mayor Furney writes:
February 21, 2011
Dear Prime Minister:
As the Mayor of a resource-dependent community (forestry, mining, aquaculture), I have been greatly impressed by the well-researched articles of Vancouver writer Vivian Krause in recent issues of the National Post. She traces vast amounts of money being transferred by U.S. foundations to anti-indudstry Canadian foundations for distribution to these activist groups in Canada.
I understand that these foundations and the Canadian recipients all enjoy “tax-free” status under the guise of being “charitable.”
Having observed our resource companies and resource communities being the victims of some very unkind campaigns by these so-called charities, I have yet to observe or experience any “charitable” actions by them. In fact, their actions appear to be the antithesis of charity.
I believe that a review should be undertaken of all these organizations that claim to be “charitable,” to ensure that they meet the stringent “charitable” requirements of our Government. If they do not meet the charitable standard that we expect, then their tax-free status should be rescinded. Is this possible?
Your Sincerely,
Mayor Furney

After reading this letter I come to the conclusion of how easy it is to critisize others.
As a tax payer in the Regional District of Mount Waddington for 40 years and with you being the Mayor for the same amout of time, don't you think I have a few fair questions that should be answered from our local politians? What about transparency, accountability, ethics and who is really in charge?
I understand that our Community Economic Development (CED) is supposed to the the responsibility of our local politicians as politicians. Not to sit on he Board of Directors of the Community Futures Development Corporation of Mount Waddington that is the main controller of our CED as a volunteer to cut out the real volunteers who would be pleased to donate their time to make sure that place is running according to the rules and benefitting the community as a whole. All these elected politicains appoint themselves to all of these organizations to make sure that no volunteers with good meaning can have their way. Control, control, control.
About the "Charitable Organization", we have the same shit here, right in Port Mc Neill but the Chair of the Regional District and some elected Board members sit on that charity Board who can't be mentioned here. Too close for comfort.
By the way, I sent a comment to that letter but your friend refused to post it. The truth is the truth, isn't it?

8 comments:

  1. sucks when people refuse to post things, doesnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter R,
    Thanks, I didn't think you cared. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter,
    You're a very complicated person to understand. One day you say you care, you have your community at heart, you're a good union man, you even cry when John refuses to post your comments, this is all normal and makes sense. Today you come up "I don't care" Brian Gallant is more consistant that you are. When he says something good or bad, he keeps his word. He said he was going to kiss the Mayors butt two years ago and that's the way it is, he's doing it. You don't have to be on my side but at least be steady so we can figure you out, we know where you stand, we know what to expect from you. Are you still grinding that ax that I threw away a while back? I guess I will have to break the handle, otherwise it will get too charp and you might cut yourself with it and blame me for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. fred, nice to see you are willing to come to terms with me. lets kiss, hug make-up are ride off to the sunset together holding hands as best friends forever. You don't ever throw the axe away. you still attack me on John's blog even when I post something good. why and what I ever did to you i will never know but i will still defend myself. I beleive in what i believe in and thats final. John has come to terms with me and we agree on most things. I care about everything important in the local community as well as the country and world as a whole. I could care less if you post my comments or not. its censorship if you dont and you are being a hypocrite because its the exact thing you're fighting with your community futures. however in the grand scheme of things what you post on your blog is not important to me. therefore i don't care.

    -peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter,
    You "care about things that are important in the Community and in the Country", that is the point. You don't want to know what is happening in your Community. The Community Economic Development (CED) is the most important part of your community. Everyone has a good place to sleep, enough to eat and close down the food bank because with a good CED everyone has a job instead of millions of dollars going through the Community Futures and you don't care where it goes. Did you read what John Prince found out about them under "You can run but you can't hide...we know what you did!"? This is a disease accross our country. All people should inform themselves, do their part and make it better for all of us. When Polio came, everyone pitched in and it was fixed. I don't remember specifically why I got pissed off at you. When John was arguing with the Community Futures in your area you were poking at him like you were part of the problem. I guess it's a combination of things. I'd rather have an enemy that fights for what he believes in so maybe one day he will believe that I'm right and he will help than having a friend that doesn't care. There is no hope to get help then.
    Bye bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since you guys were never friends in the first place, then...

    "It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend."

    ... I'm glad to see you guys 'kissing' and making up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi John,
    You're rubbing it in again.
    I never considered myself an enemy or a friend of Peter. It is hard to kiss and make up with someone who wants to be part of the dispute or conversation and that same person refuses to inform himself.
    When I brought this to your attention you already had some suspicion. You got to work and finished the job. You looked into it properly and expressed yourself in 'You Can Run But You Can't Hide...We Know What You Did!' You confirmed what was going on from a different perspective. Now we both know our country is in trouble and we both know why. But Peter is not sure yet. He refuses to inform himself. We know our local politicians are the biggest part of the problem by trying to cut the grass on both sides of the fence at the same time as politicians and volunteers in the same mandate to be able to control the hard working volunteers that are willing to give their time to make sure the Community as a whole benefits, not just a few selected idividuals.
    Bye for now.

    ReplyDelete